Mexico City has a complex and fascinating cultural identity, a place where pre-Hispanic, Colonial, and contemporary influences collide in a riot of street food, bustling markets, Cathedrals built atop Aztec ruins against the backdrop of a megacity thriving with regional migrants as well as long-established locals. There are tens of millions of souls who make Mexico City what it is; this trip is a celebration of the harmony as well as the dissonance.
On this six-day excursion in and around Mexico City, we’ll experience the ultimate moments when city’s layered identity is expressed so perfectly, as in a street side snack of tacos al pastor or a hidden Diego Rivera mural. But we’ll also be looking for the fractures, zooming in on specific influences and heading out of town in an attempt to isolate and understand them better, like a heady Aztec brew, or a Colonial era mole recipe, or the unique, pre-Hispanic floating farms still in use today. Our focus will be food and the people who make it, but in our periphery will be history, art, architecture, landscape, agriculture, street life and popular culture.
We’ll be tracing our way back to the source of the foods we’re eating, investigating the farming and production systems that feed into Mexico City.
Hands-on demonstrations and workshop visits
Meet with craftsmen—of food, art, and otherwise—and get a close-up glimpse of the unique work they create.
Unusual religious sites and museums
Mexico City has plenty of the obscure and the occult, and we’ll be sure to explore this side of things.
Market tours and home-cooked meals
Take guided tours through bustling city markets and be welcomed into local homes for a proper, family-style dinner.
- Pricing and Accommodation
The total cost of this trip is $2,880. For travelers wishing to have single accommodations during the trip, an additional $500 will be due at the time of the final payment. A $500 non-refundable deposit per traveler is required to secure space on the trip. The balance is due 90 days prior to the start of the trip.
- Activity Level
- Travelers should be reasonably fit and feel comfortable walking 3 to 5 miles each day and remaining on their feet for long periods of time. Keep in mind that Mexico City is a bustling and crowded place!
- Arrival and Departure
- For flights in and out of Mexico City International Airport (Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez), we suggest you arrive by 3 p.m. on Day 1 and depart anytime on Day 6. We are happy to book you extra nights at the group’s hotel and provide suggestions for things to do and see in the city on your own.
- • All accommodation throughout the trip in stylish, boutique hotels.
• Professional guides throughout the entire experience.
• All meals and drinks included in CB activities. A belt-popping experience.
• Admission to all proposed activities, locations, and events.
• Private coach for visits inside and outside the center city.
• A hungry group of Culinary Backstreets travelers, excited to explore all that Mexico City has to offer!
- • Transportation and flights to and from Mexico City, including airport transfers.
• Additional meals and drinks outside of Culinary Backstreets offerings, including one lunch, one dinner, and some alcoholic beverages.
• If applicable, applying for an Mexican visa (not required for U.S. citizens).
• Travel insurance (recommended).
- Dietary Restrictions
We encourage an adventurous palate! We try our best to accommodate dietary restrictions, though in most cases ingredients can’t be substituted or omitted from particular dishes. If you have a particular food allergy or intolerance, please contact us to find out if this is the right trip for you.
- Notes on Itinerary
- Itineraries and daily schedules are subject to change. We expect to do everything listed in the itinerary, though the order may be rearranged based on weather or other local conditions.
- Our Commitment to Safety and Sustainability
- We have reinforced our commitment to sustainability and safety with new guidelines to assure maximum safety of our guests on our trips while maintaining the quality of the experience. All of our experiences are designed to have minimal impact on the community and environment. For more details on our precautions, read here. Our cancellation policy is extremely flexible to deal with changes in travel plans.
“A full-on foodie and cultural immersion.”
“Unexpected delights, a culinary class takes to the streets!”